Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Row Along Finish

I finished the Row Along quilt today. (Pattern by Lori Holt can be purchased here.) I thought I would share a bit about the binding process. I ALWAYS look at my favorite binding tutorial from Deonn at Quiltscape, found here. Pay close attention to the direction of the binding when joining the two ends so you don't get it twisted. Ask me how I know. That is why I look at the tutorial each time I bind a quilt. I don't bind often enough to remember without looking.

I had an additional issue this time. I made a scrappy border because that is what Lori did. That means that there are lots of small lengths joined with diagonal seams. See what happened at this corner.

This seam allowance came right at the corner. I have a hard enough time making nice corners with binding. I certainly don't need extra bulk. What to do? I trimmed off 2" at the diagonal seam and resewed the diagonal seam.
That shortened the section before the corner and brought the diagonal seam well before the corner.
Ta dah! Actually this happened twice when I bound this quilt. The first time it didn't occur to me to take pictures. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments: